Miss Opportunity - Ch. 22.6

“What is Cami to you?” Leza demanded once Millsap got in the driver’s seat of his car.

“An employee, why?” Millsap replied, instantly frowning at her tone.

“When I was your employee, you didn’t hug me like that.”

Millsap turned to face her and the situation head-on. “What makes you think you have the right to question me about this or anything else, Leza?” he said, despising her arrogance. “I’m not married to you. We’re not even in a committed relationship.”

“You seemed pretty committed to me last night,” Leza countered with even more arrogance.

“I’m committed to having good sex, not to any woman,” Millsap replied, inwardly deeming last night only marginally good. In contrast, sex with Cami had been great. Excellent. The fact that she indicated that it could be even better between them had him reconsidering a few things. A lot of things.

“If you read more into last night than what it was, that’s on you,” Millsap continued, ready to break up with Leza on the spot now. “Especially since I’ve been upfront with you from the beginning about the fact that I’m not looking for a serious relationship.”

Firmly put in her place, Leza became a bit more humble. “You’re right, Millsap. Forgive me for flipping out on you just now. I was just jealous, because you seem to be having more fun with Cami than with me tonight.”

“I was,” Millsap replied honestly. “Which is just one reason I’m taking you home and ending this relationship before it goes from bad to worse.”

“You’re ending things with me?!” A wide-eyed Leza looked like she couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “But I quit my job for you,” she said an octave higher and a full volume notch louder.

“I didn’t ask you to do that,” Millsap reminded her in a calm tone. “You did that on your own. But I will put in a good word for you at a friend’s restaurant if you’re in need of employment.”

“No, thanks. I can find my own job,” Leza replied, speaking normally again as she put her nose haughtily in the air and folded her arms defiantly across her chest.

Millsap prudently remained silent, allowing Leza to have the last word for pride’s sake. She was too young for me anyway, he mused, reminded of her mere twenty-two years. I need a woman.

Millsap Monroe needed twenty-eight-year-old Cami Edison.

© 2008 by Suprina Frazier

Comments

Suprina said…
One more post and we'll be done with this long chapter.

As you can probably tell by now, we are pretty much done with Leza. She may do a cameo later, but she is officially no longer a threat to Millsap and Cami (spoiler).

Suprina
Paula said…
Yeah Millsap!

Popular Posts