Author Note

I was going to save this post as a part of my Letter to Readers section at the end of the book, but after the email I just received from one of our international readers, I realized I had to post this now.

While doing research for Pursuing Mrs. Regrets, I discovered that there were some women in the world whose clitorises had been deliberately damaged (often for cultural reasons). Which means they may have never known what it was like to make love with pleasure or with as much pleasure as an uncircumcised woman.

I can hear the westerners gasping now. That’s right, in some parts of the world woman are circumcised, too.

Though I dare not judge another person’s culture, traditions, and/or religious practices, I can’t help but question those things when the consequences of continuing in such practices far outweigh the benefits. Pretty much the same way I question my culture’s (or rather the older people in my family) use of extension cords to whip their children. I mean, did it really take using something that severe to keep us in line? Were we that ‘bad’ that a regular switch from a tree or even a belt wouldn’t have driven the rebelliousness out of us just the same (for those following Proverbs 13:24; 22:15)?

To this day, some of my relatives still bear the (physical and/or emotional) scars of those extension cord whippings.

But I digress…

The point I’m trying to make here is that Pursuing Mrs. Regrets gave me insight into a few things that I’d never known before. Things like how important the clitoris was to a woman, the fact that there were some women without them for various reasons, and the fact that clitoris issues can oftentimes be reversed. That’s right, I said REVERSED!

I was going to ask those interested in obtaining a copy of my research sheet with links to websites concerning Female Genital Circumcision (FGC), also known as Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), to email me, but I decided to just post the contents of that research on this blog instead. This way, the ladies affected by this practice can keep their anonymity since some may be embarrassed to even acknowledge that this has happened to them. I applaud the brave soul that did email me and prompted this discussion.

My prayer is that everything on this blog be helpful to someone…anyone.

Suprina

Comments

Joel said…
while its true that there are surgeries that can bring part of the internal clitoris more to the surface and increase the pleasure she can feel.. its certainly not "reversing" the damage that was done to her.

i DO support the campaign to help these women however.

but i think more needs to be done to stop it from happening to more girls!

...and to be honest, i think it needs to be stopped among males as well. its certainly not necessary. at all.
Suprina said…
Joel: Thanks for your input. And you're right more does need to be done. Any suggestions?

I'm not an expert on the subject, but so far I have heard of midwives getting involved, as well as various hospitals (in England), and even a French doctor. I've also heard of several laws that have been passed to address the issues in the countries that still practice female circumcision.

Thanks again for your input.

Suprina

Popular Posts